Leslie's Omnibus

Sunday Schedule

Quote of the Day:


I think I just fell in love... with Common.
_____

Coming to Chicago any time soon? If so, bookmark this fabulous listing of loads of places to find dinner for two for under $20.
_____

Also, pump up your Chicago trivia knowledge by noodling around here. Lots of cool info that most of us who live here don't even know!
_____

Love Chicago style hot dogs? And a great love story? The Superdawg story has it all!
_____

But this exercise wasn't about trigonometry problems or physics theories. Instead, the teens were being tested on their financial smarts in a lesson called "good debt vs. bad debt."

The teachers who concocted the exercise were two financial planners who stood front and center in a personal-finance class.
This is developing not just personal finance knowledge, but also critical thinking skills. More, please!
_____

Hmmmm....
More than ever, consumer electronics -- particularly laptops, smartphones and Apple's new iPad -- are shining bright light into our eyes until just moments before we doze off.

Now there's growing concern that these glowing gadgets may actually fool our brains into thinking it's daytime. Exposure can disturb sleep patterns and exacerbate insomnia, some sleep researchers said in interviews.
This actually makes sense to me, as I fall asleep much faster if I read on my Kindle for half an hour or so before laying down than if I just switch off the laptop and try going to sleep.
_____

Here's a love story that'll break your heart... unless you've got no heart at all:
A cassette tape is waiting for me. It sits in a small bubble mailer on my night table. It stares at me when I walk in the room; it beckons to me as I walk out. But still it sits there and waits. It is the last thing. The last thing he sent to me from "over there."

There is no note inside, just a regular old-school cassette tape. The outside of the envelope is addressed in his handwriting. "Love, Poppa Bear" is written on the back. I've opened it to look inside, but I haven't yet drawn up the courage to listen.
And here's the follow-up:
Yesterday was pretty emotional. I had talked to some people in the morning and I realized that I needed to sit down and have a discussion with my husband. I talk to him all the time, but I think I let him know too often how angry I still am at the situation. So I sat and I talked with him. I really opened up my heart and reminded him how much I do love him and that no matter what, that will never, ever change. I laid on the floor and just talked and talked, and it felt so good to be openly communicating the way we once did. I then needed some music so I put on the playlist I had made for him and recorded on to a tape to send him to Afghanistan. I found that I needed more of him, I wanted to hear him too, so I did it... I listened to the tape. It was difficult, I cried through much of it. He talked about being so excited to come home and hold us and hearing those things after the fact is so hard. I had somehow forgotten how funny he was and found myself laughing through my tears. It was great hearing his voice, as emotional and difficult as it was, I enjoyed it. I am so thankful my mom had that idea to send tapes and we have this (albeit, old) piece of technology to keep him, and his voice, alive.
_____
Leslie

No comments: