Leslie's Omnibus

Historic Markers

Well, poop. Two Chicago landmarks -- one is no longer, and one won't be for long.

Standee's was just a couple of blocks from where I used to live. A certified dump and my favorite greasy spoon, they served the best fried egg sandwich in the city, accompanied by a dandy cup of joe and my favorite waitress Julie, who knew just about everybody in the neighborhood. They just don't make joints like this any more. Geeze, I hate to hear this news.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, the Pump Room is getting a facelift and not, in my humble opinion, for the better. Back in my younger and stupider days when I was still doing the personal ads, this was one of my semi-regular hangouts for cocktails and dancing. It's an old Hollywood classic, the likes of which we'll never see again, dammit.

Update: Perzackly.
Leslie

No comments: