Leslie's Omnibus

I Salute You

While many of this country have been preparing for D-Day ceremonies and remembrances, I've had sacrifice and service of a different sort weighing on my heart.

Yesterday was the funeral of Chicago Police officer Alejandro "Alex" Valadez.

This was made all the more poignant for me, as one of my best friends is the son of the highest ranking police officer ever killed in Chicago. On Friday, my friend and I had an impromptu Therapy Night, where the conversation took a decidedly somber turn. He talked about how every time a police officer is killed, it brings the memory of his own father's death home. We talked about how he felt strongly pulled to attend Officer Valadez's funeral. We talked about how the police force is a family in ways that civilians will never understand.

And, for the first time since I've known him, he talked in detail about the day his father was killed, and how it's as fresh and raw in his mind today as it was the day it happened.

I am humbled and honored by this conversation, as my friend does not go back to that place in his life often or easily. I spoke very little, and absorbed all.
“Service to others is the rent we pay for our place on God’s earth,” [Governor] Quinn said. “And Alex more than paid his rent in service to others.”
Officer Valadez, Deputy Superintendant Riordan and the too many others who have lost their lives in service to this City certainly have.

I salute them, and the families they have left behind, and all the officers who step forward daily to take their places and run forward into danger to protect us all.

As Second City Cop said in thanks of all who stood to honor Officer Valadez,
We only wish that all of the participants weren't so good at their jobs, because it means we've had way too much practice at burying our Officers.
_____

And I certainly hope that neither of these stories is true.
Leslie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Les,

I'm assuming Uncle? Gosh, we talk serious some, but not that serious. I knew that he was the only one that was not a cop, but I didn't know the history.

I'm sure that he was grateful to have you to talk to - therapy nights are great!

Barrie

Omnibabe said...

Yes, you're right -- it's Uncle. It's been 20 years, and it still hits him like a ton of bricks.

I don't think we'd ever have had this chat if it had been at our regularly scheduled time... but with just two of us, much less judgment and/or self-censoring.

Who knew when Walt yanked my nose out of a book and introduced me around Emil's that I'd end up in charge of the Therapy Night notices or that I'd make such wonderful friends???

Anonymous said...

Walt's pretty good at delegating!