Leslie's Omnibus

Drive-Bys

Most of the time I don't feel my age (and I rarely act my age), but I've got to tell you, I can't take heat and humidity at all any more. I finally caved and ordered one of these, and the single window air conditioner in my kitchen doesn't cover anything but the kitchen.

We've gone straight from the 60's to the 80's and heading for the 90's. 80+% humidity.


______

He points a nuke and Hawaii and then has the nerve to accuse the U.S. of igniting the fuse of war? The NORK Nutball has some mighty big stones, I'll give him that.

And President Chicken Little? Please, for once, act out of character and have a finger poised over the big red button. Pretty please?
_____

Bwaaaaaaaaaahahahaha!!! It's about time that nasty little schoolyard bully learned his words have consequences.
_____

I'm not an animal activist by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm in total agreement with this. Having had to pith a live frog in sixth grade just to open him up and watch his heart stop beating, I'm not a fan of dissection just for the sake of teaching where the organs are and how they work. Computer modeling is more than adequate as a teaching tool until and unless you're a biology major or headed to medical or veterinary school.
_____

This is just beyond the pale:

Police near Pittsburgh say a 5-year-old girl and her mother returned from a Make-A-Wish trip to Disney World to find that their home and vehicle had been burglarized.


What is wrong with people these days???
_____

This makes me hopeful:

It's... a story of a Latino organization whose leaders unabashedly encourage the state's fastest-growing minority group to assimilate to life in this country and apply that approach to schools that largely educate Hispanic children.

The group's Mexican-American chief executive, Juan Rangel, said the organization makes a conscious effort to copy the century-old, up-by-the-bootstraps approach of white ethnic immigrants like the Irish and Italians. He renounces the more recent fight-the-power style of some African-American and Latino leaders who have sought to expand their political influence.

"Is this community going to see itself as another victimized minority or are they going to be the next successful immigrant group?" Rangel said. "There is an assumption that this community mimics the African-American community -- where it's been and where it's going. That's not the case at all. It has very little in common with the African-American experience."


That's a very big step in the right direction.
_____

Are you doing paid posts? Then you might want to read this.

If you're getting freebies in exchange for endorsing products on your blog, disclose, disclose, disclose.
_____

Giggle of the Day:

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures

(Reminds me of Darling Daddy and the Princess Mom on any given day.)
Leslie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hopeful... I'm just a little skittish about 'community' organizations after Obama's ACORN - who is changing their name and going global now.

Hope this one is better - with no connection to O!

Barrie

Omnibabe said...

It scares the hell out of me that ACORN is going to be one of the biggest organizations "volunteering" to help with the next census. I don't want any of those people within 100 yards of my personal data.

It peeves me greatly. Let's just leave it at that.

Anonymous said...

I led the fight to NOT do the census except for the basics in the constitution! Then, Michelle Bachmann followed suit - they'll probably fine her for sure.

I've read tons of frightening encounters with ACORN census takers already since they've been around that long.

They will be the biggest story since Watergate!