Leslie's Omnibus

Drive-Bys

Vanity Fair is taking a poll, but I can't participate because they're missing the one I'd vote for:

Now I ask you, is that fair?
_____

Quote of the Day:
When I wasn’t devouring a king-size Italian sub or smoldering from a hot flash, it seemed that I was crying. The tears would usually pour down when I got ambushed by some old tune: “Sweet Baby James” and “Fire and Rain” by James Taylor, “That’s the Way I’ve Always Heard It Should Be” by Carly Simon and, yes, “It’s My Party” by Lesley Gore. Not only was I temporarily menopausal, but it appeared that I was also turning into a teenage girl from the early 1970s.
The funny part? It's not written by a woman.

(A tip of the cap to la Diva Althouse via Instapundit.)
_____

See? I'm not the only one that advises leaving the lens cap on.
_____

Here's a gal who's a true hero:
Jessica Herum, 24, a deckhand with Chicago's First Lady boat tours, was at work on a sightseeing boat docked nearby Cyrano's Cafe when the explosion happened and immediately responded with a dry chemical fire extinguisher, said her manager Jason Garvett.

Witnesses said she was covered in white from the fire extinguisher. "She went in by herself, she's a real hero," said one of the witnesses.
Say a little prayer for her and for the others who were injured, will you?
_____

Speaking of gutsy chicks to run in to danger, instead of away from it, MMPC sent this yesterday:
So I was home sick today and I decided to take a bath. While I was in the bath I heard a noise downstairs and then my dog started barking. I threw my p.j.s back on and went to go downstairs. At the bottom of the stairs was a teenage boy I've never seen before. He took off running and I(being the numb skull that I am) took off after him. I caught up to him and he said he'd stop he was done. He then promptly took off again when I went to grab him. I couldn't catch up with him the second time. He raided my jewelry box before I caught up with him. Apparently, the little jerk busted in my basement window and came in that way. The good news is the cops found my jewelry in the bushes in front of my house. Eventually, I'll get it all back but it's in evidence now. So cross your fingers that they catch the little jerk. If he is he'll be going to the kiddy jail where my husband works.
I hope they nail the little bastard to a tree when they catch him. In the meantime, I'm going to make sure those kids have an alarm system installed. After all, one of these days, if I'm lucky, I'll have a grandchild or two in that house.

Yeah. Not only does she look a lot like me, but she's the same kind of hot head I am when it comes to someone taking something of mine that they didn't ask for and I didn't offer. Heh.

P.S. -- My granddog is a pit bull. Not all of them are vicious, not by a long shot.
_____

Giggle of the Day:

funny pictures of cats with captions
see more Lolcats and funny pictures
_____

Flavored Bourbon? I'm skeptical. Then again, it might just be a dandy thing in a Manhattan or an Old Fashioned.
_____

Dear Mr. Gore,

Tell me one more time about this Global Warming thing. It's not working here.

VTY,

Omnibus Driver
_____

Abbate was found guilty. Yay!
Abbate, who is listed at 6 foot 1 inches tall and admitted he may have weighed more than 250 pounds at the time of the incident, said he was drunk at the time and felt threatened by Obrycka, who is 5 foot 3 inches tall and weighs 125 pounds.
Idiot. Big bad cop was afraid of a little girl (who, by the way, was just doing her job).

Don't get me wrong -- I generally like Chicago's finest. This guy, however, is a disgrace to the uniform.
_____

BlogThings, because I love them so, the feline edition...




You Are a Maine Coon Cat



You tend to be loving and playful around your family and friends.

But when you're around strangers you tend to be a bit reserved.



You are intuitive. You understand human emotions well.

You do best when you are around people. You don't like being left alone.



... and...




You Are a Lynx



You are a quiet observer of the world around you. Your wisdom comes from listening carefully.

You've always been extra sensitive and aware. And it's made it difficult for you to fit in.



You see past people's outward personas. You are able to penetrate a stranger's soul.

What you've learned about people is both beautiful and ugly. And you keep these secrets to yourself.



... and...




You Are a Cat



You are very independent and reclusive. No one really understands you, and you like it that way!

You are quite clever and ingenious. You can get yourself out of any sticky situation.



You are confident and cool tempered. You know you have many advantages and resources to draw from.

No matter what life throws at you, things always seem to work out your way.


_____

Ear Worm of the Day:


_____

Truer words were never spoken:
It takes bigger balls than I have to be beautiful.

I hear you, sister.
_____

You know, I can and do bitch about the crappy political environment in Illinois with good reason. So why stay? Well, this is also true. There are some damned generous people who make this a great state, despite the politicians.
Leslie

No comments: