Leslie's Omnibus

Drive-Bys

cute pictures of puppies with captions
see more dog and puppy pictures
_____

Hmmm... I want the Goracle to tell me one more time about that Global Warming thing...
_____

Haven't been to the Shedd Aquarium in a long time? This is a good week to visit, as it's FREE this week! They just completed a major renovation, so it should really be wonderful.
_____

Here's an interesting combination -- Chicago native and country singer, Liz Toussaint:



Oh, yeah. Did I mention she's... different? I like her voice, and I'll be watching for her. It would be fun to see her live.
_____

They finally caught the cat mangler. That's one young man who's got some serious issues. (And I'm still not convince he acted alone.) I'm glad they nailed the little bastard.

I just wish people would learn their lesson and keep their cats inside. No good thing comes to an unsupervised outdoor cat except an early death.
_____

I have a good friend who's having a particularly trying year, having lost both close family and friends within the last 12 months. He sent me the following note:
What I am having huge huge problems dealing with: earlier in the year we lost Robin's dad, then a month later her mom and my dad is now very very ill. And I've lost 2 other friends this year. Tell me how to deal with that and you will be even wiser than I already believe you are.
Here's my response:
I lost my own mother in September, and Marilyn a year ago last March, so I have at least an inkling of what you're going through. You deal with all that by dealing with one thing at a time.

You hold Robin up when she needs you, and you let her hold you up when you need it. And then you let your friends hold you both up when you've both hit the wall.

And you hug your critters as often as you can.

You go to the dog park and play until you and your dog are both ready to drop. The fresh air and exercise will do you good.

You remind yourself that as long as you carry these people around in your heart, they are still with you.

You say "I love you" to those who are dear to you every time you see them or talk to them.

You don't let other people hijack your grief by telling you their sad tales and getting all emotional when YOU'RE the one who needs some comforting. (Yeah. It sucks, but people do that.)

I started writing my mom's eulogy when we knew she was terminal, but with enough time that I could still ask questions, and make sure that I got it RIGHT. (You can find it here: http://getonthe.blogspot.com/2008/09/in-memorium.html) You may find that doing the same for your father gives you a surprising amount of wonderful memories you'll want to share with your friends -- I know I did.

When everything seems bleakest, try to remember them at their funniest and best. Those memories are precious, and they are very comforting. And you're allowed to LAUGH when you think of them. They'd prefer that to your tears.

Every once in a while you get completely schnockered and have a good cry.

You keep reaching out to friends, just like you reached out to me.

And you pray a lot -- for strength, for easing of pain for your dad, for comfort, and for peace.

In the meantime, I'll be holding you and Robin up in my own prayers. Tap me on the shoulder any time you need me. I'll be there. I promise.
I have some pretty smart and compassionate readers out there. What else did I leave out?
Leslie

No comments: