Leslie's Omnibus

Traveling Companions

I know I preach about rescues a lot, so I thought I'd put my money where my mouth is. Tonight, I'm going on an adventure. I'm driving to a McDonald's in Michigan City, Indiana to pick up a couple of litters of kittens, 1 Persian, 1 Himalayan and, I think, an Abyssinian. Then I'm headed back this way to meet the next driver... and at this point I'm not quite sure who that is going to be.

So far today I've responded to two e-mails, made two phone calls, and am awaiting one more, just to coordinate. (I take my cap off to anyone who coordinates rescues like this on a regular basis. I don't know how you do it.)

I don't know where these cats come from originally, and I'm not sure where they'll end up... but I know that they're going to be well cared for and well loved, and that's enough for me.

Tonight, I really will have traveling companions.
_____

Update: One more phonecall incoming, two outgoing. Now I know who I'm meeting... but I just don't know WHERE.
_____

Update: Okay, now I know where. The Petco parking lot at Harlem & Wilson, 9 p.m. Looking for a black Cavalier with Persians painted on it. (Shouldn't be hard to spot.)
_____

As I told the rescue coordinator, I'm beginning to feel like one of Robin Hood's Merry Men... (Which is a neat trick for a chick.)
_____

Update: No Aby. Persians and Hymmies only. The cats are coming from Ohio, by way of Michigan and Indiana. Ultimate home, Wisconsin. Just thought you'd like to know.
_____

Update: Just heard back from Peggy Dial, one of the rescue coordinators: "Now I'm hoping for a short lull before the possible influx of animals coming from the evacuation areas in FL. Northwest Airlines has offered to fly them free! My question is, to where? Are we going to have to find rescue groups w/room to take them & then arrange the ground transports? Ugh We'll just have to wait & see. In the meantime, I think I may start asking everyone if they have room for any more, just in case."

Well? Have you got room? If so, email me, and I'll let her know.
_____
Leslie

No comments: