Leslie's Omnibus

The Mom Update

This is one of those posts I really wish I didn't have to write. In the past couple of weeks, the Princess Mom has had a couple of setbacks, including two psychotic episodes, that have led the family to make some hard decisions.

The first decision was to take her off all but her heart and anti-seizure medications. The second is no more hospitals. The third was to get hospice care at home.

While she still eats like a horse, she is steadily losing weight. Her short-term memory is spotty. She has less and less energy each day. She has some odd obsessive-compulsive issues.

Yes, we're on that long, slow march to the end. The hospice folks tell us it will probably be a matter of weeks, instead of months.

Mostly, we're not at the crying point yet. There'll be plenty of time for that later. What we are doing is trying to make every day good for her, and enjoy her while we've got her.

Two of my cousins have flown in to spend some time with her. We're encouraging friends and family to do it now. My daughter has spent a good bit of time with her, too, and she's probably been the best medicine of all.

Please keep holding us in your prayers. Believe me, the knowledge that they're there has really helped us to hold (mostly) rock-steady.

And to those of my friends out there who are currently going through the same kinds of travails (and you know who you are), our prayers are with your families, too.
Leslie

9 comments:

The Meezers or Billy said...

Leslie, our thoughts and prayers are with you in this very difficult time. Try and focus on the good things that happen each day.

MeezerMom Mary

Anonymous said...

It sure isn't easy, Leslie. I'll be thinking about you.

Northwoods Woman said...

Got the whole church praying for you all. Love ya!

Maeve said...

As always you & your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

pamibe said...

I'm so sorry, Leslie. You and your family are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

So sorry.

Richmond said...

Oh boy... I am so very sorry, Leslie.

You and yours have my prayers as well. May peace be with you all.

Nancy said...

Ah Leslie, find the joy and peace where you can, and know that ther are a lot of people out here who wish they could be there to help you.

Anonymous said...

.... I am so sorry that this is happening..... good luck to you all.....

Eric