Leslie's Omnibus

Down Memory Lane

Who hosted the noontime cartoon show you watched when you were growing up? Did he or she have a motto?

For me, it was Captain Penny... and the Captain's Law was: "You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time... but you can't fool Mom."

(For that reason and many others, I believe to this day that my mother really does have eyes in the back of her head.)
_____

Because of Captain Penny, we also had an elf named Mr. Jingeling as a Christmas icon in Cleveland. The song? I can't remember all the words, but here are some of them:

Mis-ter Jing-a-ling
How you ting-a-ling
Keeper of the keys!
On Halle's seventh floor [the toy department, of course!]
We'll be looking for
You to turn the key!

Mr. Jing-a-ling
How you ting-a-ling
With your many keys!
Don't you dare be late
For we have a date
On Halles' seventh floor!

The Keeper of the Keys to Toyland, words and music by Marian Jacobi, arranged by Wellington D. Schiller.

(Does anybody else out there remember this? I know there were more words. Gah! I hate getting old.)
_____

That prompts another memory -- my mother was shopping in the Halles' at Westgate Mall the day President Kennedy was assassinated. When she got home from the store, she said that she had seen a salesgirl crying, and asked her what was wrong. The girl told her that the president had been shot, and my mom mistakenly thought she meant the president of Halles. It wasn't until she got home that she realized that it was Kennedy.

I was 5 years old, and I still remember that day. Where were you? What do you remember about that day?
_____

Update: Seems I'm not the only one strolling down Memory Lane today. Go check out Mamacita's meditation on penny candy.
_____

Heh! This brings back a few memories, too:







Which Fraggle Rock Character Are You?




You are Gobo Fraggle.
Take this quiz!








Quizilla
Join

Make A Quiz More Quizzes Grab Code



(A tip of the cap to Poppy!)
_____
Leslie

No comments: