Leslie's Omnibus

The Mom Update

The Princess Mom's health is going downhill fast, and, to make matters worse, she took another fall in the wee small hours of the morning on Friday and gave herself a helluva gash on the back of her head. My brother and SSIL hauled her off to the emergency room at around 4:00 a.m.

The doctors wanted to do a CAT scan, but my brother put the kibosh on that.

"She may have intercranial bleeding, you know!"

"Yeah. She's also under hospice care and has a DNR. Stitch her up and send her home."

Eleven stitches later, they did just that.

I know that may come off as harsh, but it's not. We promised her no more tests and no more overnight hospital stays, and we deliver on our promises.

She's half of this world and half of the other... and it greatly pains her when she realizes she's been in and out of reality.

"I'm tired of this torture. You don't know how much I hate this."

"I'll tell you what, Mom -- if you're tired and it's time to go, just close your eyes and go. Don't worry about us, because you've done a wonderful job and we know what to do. We'll take care of each other. I promise you, we'll take care of each other."

Yes, it was not an easy weekend.

On the other hand, wherever she is when she's off in the ether, she does come up with an occasional pip. This weekend's winner was her insistence that my brother and SSIL are getting not one, but two cats soon.
  1. Brother and SSIL are dog people;
  2. SSIL doesn't dislike cats... but she does dislike litter boxes intensely;
  3. TPM insists that the Wheaton Humane Society called them up and informed them that they were giving them two cats and that they had to take them. (Not bloody likely.)
She's adamant about this. I'm personally coming around to the idea that maybe it's the Heavenly Humane Society that's come a-knockin', and that the Divine Miss Marilyn and her litter sister (who was always TPM's favorite) will be there to greet her on the other side. I hope so, anyway.

I expect to get the phone call saying the end is near any day now. If the blog goes silent for a bit, it's because I'm off to see TPM off to glory.
Leslie

6 comments:

Northwoods Woman said...

Good job! and I think you are right about the cats. I'm sure they are there! My prayers are with you all, love ya bunches!

kerrcarto said...

My heart goes out to you. I know how you feel.

Anonymous said...

Les, Hang in there! Even if you agree with her decision, it sure is tough executing them! I'm sending a big hug your way.

See ya' soon.
Barrie

Walrilla said...

Know that we are here for you, hon.

{{{{Hugs}}}}

Walrilla

pamibe said...

{{Hugs}} for all of you.

The Meezers or Billy said...

you and your brother are incredible children! it takes much courage to follow through on something so incredibly difficult. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom