Leslie's Omnibus

Bumpy Ride

Oh, no! TOTUS got truck-napped:
A truck filled with President Obama's podiums and audio equipment was stolen in Henrico just days before his visit to Chesterfield.

We confirmed an investigation with the U.S. Defense Department. There are still a lot of questions. The biggest one being did the thieves intentionally target the President's truck or did they take advantage of a crime of opportunity and give a big "uh-oh" when they saw what was inside.

When you see President Obama speak, there is a pretty typical setup including the presidential seal on a podium, the see-thru Teleprompter and a portable sound system.

Thieves saw the truck carrying that equipment and couldn't resist the target.

And what does TOTUS himself have to say about all this?

I've been kidnapped, and if Big Guy thinks he can negotiate with these guys the same way he talks to the terrorists in Lebanon, Afghanistan, Egypt, Somalia, Sudan, Libya, the Philippines, Mexico, Venezuela and the House Republican Conference, he better think twice.

These guys talk a good game. Just last night, after Big Guy announced that he was re-submitting his rejected jobs bill, piece by piece, so that Republicans could understand it, one of my captors said, "Maybe we should send Him back his teleprompter piece by piece."

Frankly, given the lack of any good rhetoric lately from Big Guy, I'm not sure I want to go back. Republicans want to make America "dirtier"? Really? That's the best the speechwriters can come up with? Has Big Guy caught a whiff of what's down at Freedom Plaza near the White House or up on Wall Street? Now, that's dirty.
Stay tuned!

Leslie

4 comments:

Alicia said...

I can't tell if you're conservative or not, but if you are, which GOP Candidate do you support and why? I've been watching the debates and the coverage very closely so I'm curious. I am not conservative as I lean very far to the left, but a lot of my friends who are conservative are talking about the protests not really having a point and how the rich shouldn't be taxed more, but they never talk about whether or not they like or support one of the candidates. There's nothing wrong with talking about that, btw...I'm just curious though! Your blog has a lot of readers...do you endorse someone for the nomination?

Omnibabe said...

Hmmmm... I'm pretty much a small "L" libertarian -- I believe in small government, self-sufficiency and personal responsibility.

I believe that there are very few people who should be on the public dole for the long term. I believe in giving people the tools to take care of themselves, and expecting them to do just that. I believe that earning your own money, rather than taking money from the government, makes it more valuable to you personally.

I believe I'd rather choose my own philanthropies than have the government make those choices for me.

I believe in volunteerism. I don't believe that I need to be paid for every job I do -- some things need to be done just because it's the right thing to do. This lowers costs and raises community participation and responsibility.

I haven't narrowed the field of conservative candidates down yet, other than to be glad that Palin opted not to join the race and that Michelle Bachman has fallen behind in the polls.

My issues are this -- the economy, foreign policy and the economy. I frankly don't care about the abortion issue, because it's moot. Religious issues are a smoke screen -- we are not going to see creationism taught in any school but a private religious school. On the other hand, I'd rather vote for someone who believes strongly in something than someone who doesn't.

I believe government should not own an interest in businesses. I believe that there's nothing too big to fail, and that bailing out sinking ships is what has put this economy into such terrible shape -- and kept it there.

I believe in civil unions.

I believe that gays have a right to serve in the military, and that "don't ask, don't tell" was a terrible policy.

I believe that if you put yourself into major debt going after a useless degree such as history or women's studies or the like and then you can't get a job, that's your poor choices and not my problem. (I also believe that there has been far too much focus on getting every kid into college. We really should be getting every kid the skills to get a job that will support them. I miss the days when solid vocational training was a track available to high school students.)

It's too early for me to make a choice... but I will be voting for a fiscal conservative, but not necessarily a social conservative. Stay tuned.

Omnibabe said...

Oh, yeah. I also believe that this whole Occupy Wall Street movement is misguided. They should be focusing on Washington, DC who made the laws that created this mess.

Alicia said...

NICE!!!

I share some of your views and I enjoyed your response to my question.

I am disappointed looking back on my undergrad experience that I majored in English Lit with zero plans to go on to grad school. What the hell did I think I was going to do with that? It's not as "out there" as the other degrees you mentioned. However, I do not have unrealistic expectations so I got a full time job in insurance. I don't know what the point of saying that was, other than I agree with your view haha.

I enjoy the Occupy Wallstreet movement, but I agree that the protestors are in the wrong place and that they should be in DC. I like the attention that it's generating as far as how such a small amount of people control the nation's wealth...but yes, the people on Wall Street aren't going to start throwing money at them or quitting their jobs because people are protesting.