Leslie's Omnibus

Sunday Schedule

Seems I'm not the only one who finds people who are constantly, egregiously late are a huge a problem:
10 people kept waiting in a meeting for 20 minutes, while some selfish pratt who idles his way via the coffee shop, is actually 20 minutes times 10, which is 200 minutes wasted – while you keep us waiting because you did not catch the earlier bus. That is over 3 hours wasted. By you! How much has that cost the business? Shall I send you an invoice?
Yep.
Why do people, invited for a dinner party at 7.30, think its cool to arrive at 8.30? It’s rude. It’s inconsiderate. And it’s selfish, as I witnessed in a coffee shop near my home one weekend. Three “ladies who lunch” (a species not confined to, but heavily represented on, the lower North Shore of Sydney) were chatting loudly at the table next to me. One inquired what time the ‘drinks do’ was that night. The reply for all the world to hear was ‘Oh 7.30, but we won’t get there till 9 because by then it will have warmed up and all the interesting people will have arrived’. Nice. Imagine if everyone took that view. Cocktail parties would start at 3 am eventually.
Yep.
And it is not that we lead ‘busy lives’. That’s a given, we all do, and it’s a cop out to use that as an excuse. It’s simply that some people no longer even pretend that they think your time is as important as theirs. And technology makes it worse. It seems texting or emailing that you are late somehow means you are no longer late.

Rubbish.

You are rude. And inconsiderate.
Double yep.

Everyone runs into something that causes them to be late sooner or later, and I can excuse it if it's occasional and unavoidable.

But when you are chronically late, you'd better believe I take it as a measure of how valuable the friendship really is to me, because it clearly is not a priority to you.

Don't be surprised if I'm gone by the time you finally show up.

Don't be surprised if I'm busy the next time you want to get together.

Don't be surprised if I don't want another date.

Don't be surprised if I put you in as the last item on the agenda and you miss all the important stuff that happens before you get there, because I'm not waiting for you to show up any more.

Why? Because you are rude and inconsiderate... and not worthy of my valuable time or consideration.
_____

I saw Life as We Know It Friday night. I'm not sure I'd call it a rom-com, though there were a couple of cutesy moments in the film -- it's really more of a drama with a bit of comedy. And I'm not sure I'd call it a romance, as the main characters (and they were characters, not caricatures) really don't so much fall in love as grow used to one another's company... but overall I really liked the movie. Josh Duhamel was pretty good. Katherine Heigel was more understated than usual. The triplets who play the baby are adorable. And I've never heard of Josh Lucas before, but... YUMMM!

Yeah, it's a chick flick... but guys won't outright hate it, either, because it's as much about friendship and life/career choices as it is about the icky touchy-feely stuff.
_____

The weather here is gorgeous, and we're enjoying it while we can!
_____

Do you belong to a VFW post? Are you aware of who their PAC is and is not endorsing in this latest election? If not, go read Blackfive. It's guaranteed to set your hair on fire.
_____
Leslie

1 comment:

Cordovan said...

My ex was notoriously late...for everything. And when I say everything, I mean, late getting out of bed, late going to bed, late for work every day, late coming home, late going to appointments, late to kids activities (if he showed at all), even phone calls were not returned on time.

People that are always late are egotists. What they are really saying is 'My time is more valuable than yours.' And they love to prove it by making you wait.