Leslie's Omnibus

Drive-Bys

Yesterday a reader posted a comment that he/she was offended by my use of the term "drive-bys," thinking that I was flippantly referring to drive-by shootings. To the contrary, my use of the term means that thing I see as I'm driving past that sparks a fleeting thought or a memory of something I'm supposed to remember, but have already forgotten (and trying to recall whatever that forgotten thing is will nag at the back of my consciousness all day... and then I won't be able to remember what prompted that nagging feeling in the first place). That happens to me all the time... and usually that thought or memory is gone as quickly as the scenery has passed. "Drive-Bys" is my way of capturing those moments. No offense intended.
_____

I have an ear worm again. It's Wayne Newton singing "Scarlet Ribbons."

I have NO idea where that scary combination came from, but the song has been bouncing around the back of my skull since about 4:00 this morning. Make it stop! Please!
_____

Written by a blogger FOR bloggers, I presume?
_____

But it won't pay for contraception? I'm with Marc here. Quick! Pass me a cluebat.
_____

Holy Moley!!! I didn't know this existed. Now I know how safe (or unsafe) my street really is. Yikes.

(A tip of the cap to Jeff Jarvis.)
_____

The great karmic wheel turns. Heh.
_____

My office just got a new, high tech and very spiffy GBC electronic hole-punch. It's not working. Again. The note attached says, "Not punching properly. Use the little guy." Call me naughty, but I'm really tempted to buy one of these to put next to that sign.

Besides -- I think it would be more efficient -- not to mention less costly to maintain -- than either of the other ones.
_____

Challenge of the day: keep a straight face while reading this. Or this.
_____

It's a FAKE??? Say it ain't so....
_____

Update: Egads! It actually happened in Episode 230. (But that still doesn't explain the ear worm.)
_____

Update 2: It's no secret that I am a very fast reader. Sometimes that gets me into trouble. This headline had me in stitches. Why? I read it as "The Monkey in God's Army." Totally different picture.

If that's not enough, there's an article in Vanity Fair about Steve Wynn's new hotel in Vegas. This little excerpt had me on the floor when I realized that I had misread one little word:

"Suddenly we're suffounded by Rachmaninoff's 'Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganinni,' thundering from who knows how many speakers. 'Louder!' yells Wynn. The mountain is illuminated. The lagoon bubbles and gurgles. Beneath the water, 4,000 light-emitting diodes burst with fabulous colors in psychedelic patterns, aaggitated swirls of blue, yellow, and pink race and ripple across the water in time to the piano concerto. Enthralled, Wynn cuts through the air with an invisible baton."

Okay. Change "diodes" to... well... I'll leave that most colorful picture to your own imaginations.

_____

Leslie

No comments: