Leslie's Omnibus

End of the Line

Sometimes I am amazed at how just the right thing can come along at the time when you need it the most. I got back from that incredibly long vacation (17 days), and it took me quite a while to catch up on my emails. (Business ones first, don't you know?) Anyway, on Wednesday I got around to opening up a lovely PowerPoint slideshow sent by my friend Pilar. Only problem? It was in Spanish. I haven't used my Spanish skills any more than to ask directions to the bathroom, order dinner or say excuse me since I was in college. Fortunately, one of my co-workers, Monica, is fluent and sent me the translation today. Why is this important? Well, I got news Thursday that my Aunt Beverly had just passed away. Here is the translation:


Indian Story

My friend opened the drawer to his wife's nightstand and took out a small package wrapped in white paper.

He said, it's not just a simple package, it's lingerie.

He threw away the wrapping and admired the precious silk.

She bought it the first time we went to New York about 8 or 9 years ago. She never used it.
She was saving it for a special occasion. Very well I think this is that occasion.

He went by the bed and laid down the clothing next to the things he would be taking to the funeral home.

His wife had just passed. He turned to me and said.

Never save anything for a special occasion. Every day that you live is a special occasion.

I still think about how these words have changed my life.

Now I read more and clean less. Now I relax on the patio, rather than cutting the grass. I spend more time with friends and family and less time at work.

I understand now that life is a series of experiences to enjoy not survive.

I never save anything. I use the best dishes every day.

I use a new suite to go to the grocery store if I feel like doing so.

I don't save my best cologne for a special party, I use it every day.

The phrases "some day" and "one of these days" have disappeared from my vocabulary.

I don't know what my friends wife would have done had she known that she wouldn't be here tomorrow.

I think she would call her closest friends and her family.

Maybe she would have called old friends to apologize for not staying in touch.

I like to think she would have gone to her favorite Chinese restaurant.

These small things that were never done would bother me if I knew that I only had a few hours to live.

Bothered because I wouldn't see the friends that "some day" I would have taken the time to go see.

Bothered because I didn't write those letters that "some day" I would write.

Bothered and sad because I didn't tell my family how much I love them.

Now I try not to save anything that would add laughter and happiness to our lives.

Every day I tell myself that it's a special day. Every hour, every minute is special.

If you have received this message it's because someone loves you and because there are people that you love.

If you're too busy to take a couple of minutes to forward this to others and you think "one of these days" . . .

That day can be a long time from now and it's possible it may never be.

It just made me think of Bev. She was a great lady. More on Monday, after I've had some time with my cousins in Ohio.
_____
Leslie

No comments: