Leslie's Omnibus

Book Your Ticket

I knew a read a lot, but documenting my year in books has been a real eye-opener for me. First, here's my December list, followed by links back to my monthly lists for 2010:

December – 19/181

Kay Thompson ­– From Funny Face to Eloise, Sam Irvin*

Home at Rose Cottage, Sherryl Woods*

Writers Gone Wild: The Feuds, Frolics, and Follies of Literature’s Great Adventurers, Drunkards, Lovers, Inoclasts, and Misanthropes, Bill Peschel*

Mary Ann in Autumn: A Tales of the City Novel, Armisted Maupin[1]*

Invisible: An Ivy Malone Mystery, Lorena McCourtney*

Return to Rose Cottage, Sherryl Woods*

The Hangman’s Daughter, Oliver Pötzsch[2]*

Call Me Mrs. Miracle, Debbie Macomber[3]*

How I Learned to Love the Walrus, Beth Orsoff*

A Dog Named Slugger, Leigh Brill*

Zero Game, Brad Meltzer[4]*

A Christmas Story: The Book That Inspired the Hilarious Classic Film, Jean Shepherd*

How to Disappear: Erase Your Digital Footprint, Leave False Trails, and Vanish Without a Trace, Frank M. Ahearn[5]*

The Matchmakers, Jennifer Colgan*

Skitty (Shipscat), Mercedes Lackey[6]*

A Better Mousetrap, Mercedes Lackey[7]*

A Tale of Two Skitties, Mercedes Lackey[8]*

Saint Training, Elizabeth Fixmer*

Millie’s Fling, Jill Mansell*


[1] I adored the original Tales of the City series, so this was like meeting a cherished old friend after an absence of many years -- perfectly lovely.

[2] Fascinating fictional mystery set in 17th century Bavaria, based on the actual history of the author’s ancestors – the Kuisl family, who were executioners for centuries in that area.

[3] I generally like Macomber’s books, especially her Christmas angels series. This, however, was a direct rip-off of Miracle on 34th Street. I’m disappointed, quite frankly.

[4] Think John Grisham’s Pelican Brief goes to Congress. Just okay, okay?

[5] First lesson? It’s a bad idea to buy this book with anything other than cash. That’s fine with me, as I was more interested in how this is possible from a writer’s point of view.

[6] Novella.

[7] Novella.

[8] Novella.

_____

_____

_____

Inspired by Professor Bainbridge's look back at his Amazon purchases for 2010, I did a little analysis of my own reading habits.

Of those 181 books, there were only 133 authors. I'm likely to look for more of an author's work if I like the first of their books I read.

160 of those 181 books were read on Kindle. Most of those 21 books in hard copy were either out of print books or remaindered books I found on a sale table. I'm more than willing to wait for a new book to come out on Kindle.

23 Genres read include Biography (21), Business (1), Cartoons (1), Chick Lit (11), Children's (2), Classics (8), Cozies (6), Fantasy (8), Fiction (33), History (2), Humor (1), Mysteries (12), Romance (17), Romance/Humor (10), Science (1), Science Fiction (5), Social Issues (2), Spirituality (1), Suspense (9), Technical (2), Thriller (8), Young Adult (3) and Zany/Capers (7).
_____

Teed up on my Kindle for 2011?

Traitor's Wife, Susan Higginbotham
The Year She Fell, Alicia Rasley
Diary of Samuel Pepys, Samuel Pepys

What's on your reading list for 2011?
Leslie

3 comments:

InsomniacSeeker said...

can you ever read too many books? i don't think so, in my honest opinion. hope you are enjoying an awesome new year's day! i'm thinking about keeping a list of the books i read this year. i've got a stack that i've bought recently and i'm reading through my Martha Grimes books again.

Bou said...

I'm never sure what will be on my reading list! Sometimes I just go to the library and start picking books. If I like the author, I get the rest of their stuff.

Right now I'm reading through Brad Thor's series. I need to read the Pat Conroy book that came out last year. That's definitely on my list...

Happy New Year!

Omnibabe said...

Tina -

Love, love, LOVE Martha Grimes!

Bou -

Am currently reading Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand (who also wrote Seabiscuit). I've been thinking of your dad the whole time, and think he'd really appreciate it. Also, I think he'd love the Billy Boyle series by James R. Benn.

I love Brad Thor. You might enjoy this podcast of a radio interview with him. Have you read any Lee Child? If you like Thor, I think you'll like Child as well.

I really can't recommend Beatrice and Virgil highly enough. It's not always an easy read, but by far my top pick for 2010. Also, I think you'd really enjoy Born Under a Million Shadows. There's something about the main character that will remind you a bit of Bones' irrespressible energy and joy.

Hope you and your family have a blessed and joy-filled 2011!

Leslie