Leslie's Omnibus

Pub Crawl

Here we go again... Darkey Kelly's and The Ha'Penny Bridge Inn in Dublin, The Danny Mann in Killarney and O'Connor's Traditional Pub in Killarney. Now... on to see The Scattering at An Pucan in Galway:

Our friend Judy particularly liked these guys, and has been waiting for days for me to post this. Hope this doesn't disappoint her... or you!





Here are the lyrics to "The Good Ship Kangaroo"

Once I was a waitin' man that lived at home at ease.
Now I am a mariner that ploughs the angry seas.
I always loved seafarin' life, I bid my love adieu
I shipped as steward and cook, me boys, on board the Kangaroo.

chorus: Oh I never thought she would prove false or either prove untrue
As we sailed away through Milford Bay on board the Kangaroo

`Think of me, oh think of me,` she mournfully did say,
`When you are in a foreign land and I am far away.
Take this lucky tuppenny bit, it'll make you bear in mind
That lovin' trustin' faithful heart you left in tears behind.`

`Cheer Up, cheer up, my own true love. Don?t weep so bitterly,`
She sobbed, she sighed, she choked, she cried and could not say goodbye
`I won't be gone for very long, 'tis but a month or two.
When I will return again of course I'll visit you.`
Our ship it was homeward bound from many's the foreign shore
And many's the foreign present unto me love I bore.
I brought tortoises from Tenerife and toys from Timbuktu
A china rat, a Bengal cat and a Bombay cockatoo.

Paid off I sought her dwellin' on a street above the town
Where an ancient dame upon the line was hangin' out her gown.
`Where is me love? ` `She's vanished, sir, six months ago
With a smart young man that drives the van for Chaplin, Son and Co.

Here's a health to dreams of married life, to soap suds and blue,
Heart's true love and patent starch and washin' soda too.
I'll go unto some foreign shore, no longer can I stay
And with some China hottentot I'll throw meself away.

Me love she is no foolish girl, her age it is two score
Me love she is no spinster, she's been married twice before.
I cannot say it was her wealth that stole me heart away;
She's a washer in a laundry for one and nine a day
Leslie

2 comments:

Mark said...

Soooooooo jealous!

JihadGene said...

Fun!!!