Leslie's Omnibus

PSA

Many of my friends know that my dad died of leukemia several years ago. As a result, I always sponsor friends or friends of friends who joins the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. I just received this email:

Dear friends, family and those who are wondering, "who the heck is Melissa Reinke?"

Well, I am. And I am writing in order to ask for your help in a very important cause.

It's no surprise that there is hurt and suffering in the world. We began the year thrown into the clutches of Mother Earth and awakened to her possible wake by the horrible tsunami. In the past week we've seen London attacked under the noses of world leaders at the G8 summit, while countless artists played in support of the summit, bringing public awareness to the dangers present to the people of Africa.

With all of the hurt in the world, it is easy for a person to feel inundated and inadequate to help in any way.

I am writing to let you know there is a way to help ease some of the pain in the world.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is a not-for-profit health organization dedicated not only to eradicating leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma, but also to improving the lives of patients and their families. Although anyone can be affected by leukemia, it has a large affect on older adults and cause mores deaths among children 1-14 in the U.S. than any other disease. It is estimated that leukemia, lymphoma or myeloma will kill an estimated 59,200 persons in the U.S. this year.

The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society funds research that attempts to find both the cure and the cause of these diseases.

Why am I telling you all this and how can you help, you ask?

In order to help the L&LS with its cause, I have signed up with Team in Training (TNT) to run the Nike Women's Marathon in San Francisco in October. Although I have asthma and didn't run my first full mile until mid-college, I am dedicating myself to raising funds to help find a cure for these diseases.

TNT pledges to donate $0.75 of every dollar raised to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society--the rest of which will cover travel and expenses for the race as well as training so that I don't kill myself!

In order to keep this pledge, I have set a challenge to raise $3,800 for this race by the end of September.

I don't know which aspect seems most challenging right now, running 26.2 miles, raising $3,800 or having to get up at 5 a.m. on Saturdays in order to train for it!

Although I'm not sure which aspect will challenge me most, I am positive that the most rewarding part of this experience will be seeing all of those funds go towards helping children like Katie, our honoree for the race, provided for and eventually healed.

Thank you very much in advance for all of your help. You are a very integral part of our Team in Training.

You may send me emails with any questions regarding TNT or the LLS at mcreinke@hotmail.com

You may also follow the link below to donate by Visa or Mastercard online right now!!!
On behalf of children like Katie, I thank you again for your help and support.

~Melissa Reinke

P.S. You can also help with fundraising ideas and by seeing if your company will match your donation! Feel free to pass this email on to others who may be willing to help change lives and reshape dreams and destinies!
============================================
Want to donate or help? Simply go to the link below:
http://www.active.com/donate/melissareinke
_____

You know what to do. I certainly did.
_____
Leslie

No comments: