Leslie's Omnibus

Drive-Bys

I found this funny question here:

What did you want to be when you were 13?

My answer? "16"
_____

The definitive example of cray-to-the-zee?
"A not-so-stealthy “samurai” who told police he was “cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs” is in jail after allegedly abandoning a vehicle on the middle of a busy Indiana interstate to march shirtless with a 35-inch sword."
That's the ticket.
_____

More after the jump...


Quote of the Day:
Facebook is like going to a party where you know everyone.
Blogging is like going to a party where you don't know anybody, but you've already had a few and you're feeling amiable, so what the hell. -- Harvey
Beautiful, no?

(And I'd rather read what you're up to on your blog than on Facebook.  I visit my Facebook page a couple of times a week, but I'm stubbornly sticking to blogs for most of my reading.)
_____

Ear Worm of the Day:





You have no idea how horribly badly I slaughtered those lyrics as a child... and I LOVED this song, even if I had no idea on earth what it actually meant.

For what it's worth, here's the English translation:

Dominique

Chorus
Dominique, nique nique
over the land he plods along
and sings a little song.
Never asking for reward,
He just talks about the Lord.
He just talks about the Lord.

At a time when Johnny Lackland
Over England was the King,
Dominique was in the backland,
fighting sin like anything .
Chorus

Now a heretic, one day
Among the thorns forced him to crawl.
Dominiqu' with just one prayer,
Made him hear the good Lord's call.
Chorus

Without horse or fancy wagon,
He crossed Europe up and down.
Poverty was his companion,
As he walked from town to town.
Chorus

To bring back the straying liars
And the lost sheep to the fold
He brought forth the Preaching Friars,
Heaven's soldiers, brave and bold.
Chorus

One day in the budding order,
There was nothing left to eat.
Suddenly two angels walked in
With a load of bread and meat.
Chorus

Dominique once in his slumber
Saw the Virgin's coat unfurled
Over friars without number
Preaching all around the world
Chorus .

Grant us now oh Dominique
The grace of love and simple mirth
That we all may help to quicken
Godly life and truth on earth
Chorus

Hard to believe such a simple song went viral internationally, and then the Singing Nun faded back into obscurity.
_____

I know I already said it once, but I'm saying it again -- when it comes to friends, they come no better than Miss Nancy.  I owe her big time for rescuing my camera bag from the hotel in Katy and delivering it to my hotel in Kingwood while I was busy dancing like a maniac at another friend's wedding.

I WILL come up with an appropriate "thank you" and it's going to be a Jim-dandy one, too.
_____

Speaking of my camera -- note to self: It does you not one blinking bit of good if you bring your camera and not one, but two batteries on vacation if you leave the battery charger at home.  I can't afford to go buying a new camera every time I do such a stupid thing, either.  Just sayin'...
_____

I have pictures -- which I haven't uploaded yet -- and tales to tell from my Texas trip.  But I've been up since 4:30 a.m., and I need my beauty rest before heading back to work tomorrow.  Stay tuned...
Leslie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was 13, I wanted to be a Chicago Cop!