Leslie's Omnibus

Bus Fumes

I'm all Blagoed out for the moment. He reminds me of my six year old niece, who's been known to stick out her lower lip and pout, "It's not fair!" from time to time.

For her, and, I'll wager, for Blago, it's not fair simply because it's not going her (or his) way.

Or, when caught in a fib, TMBCITW (yes, I admit it -- she's not perfect... but close) might say, "Uh, uh! It wasn't me," knowing all the while that it sure was.

I've gotten to the point where I'm waiting for Blago to haul out an imaginary friend to blame it on, just like TMBCITW. Oddly, Richard Roeper thinks along the same lines:
As for Blago's other possible choices to fill that Senate seat, no word on the rumor that he also considered asking his very good friend, Jimmy the Imaginary Lemur.
And speaking of Blago's dreams, remember how I've been saying he's probably concocting his strategy for running in the next Presidential election?
Actually, his delusions may be worse than we suspect. Blagojevich's actions this week make sense only if he thinks he has a political future after he's removed from office. And given his capacity for implausible dreams, I suspect that's exactly what he imagines.

Obviously, he's not helping himself with senators by refusing to show up or send his lawyers to mount a defense. But he undoubtedly realizes that given the evidence against him, he has no chance of being acquitted regardless. So he's planning for what happens afterward.

Here's the scenario I think Blagojevich has in his mind: He denounces the Senate trial as a lynching, and he's removed from office. But in time, he manages to secure an acquittal in his criminal trial. At that point, he can declare that his innocence has been confirmed beyond all doubt, claim that the Senate verdict was clearly a gross miscarriage of justice, and re-enter the political arena as the ultimate comeback kid.
So how come I'm not getting paid for writing Op Ed pieces for the Tribune? Obviously, I'm ahead of my time.

Why am I so depressed? Because this and this are so true it's frightening.

That capering fool is distracting us from those two truths, and we should be ashamed of ourselves for ignoring what's really important here and giving the Ego That Ate Illinois a feeding platform.
Leslie

No comments: