I'm giving her style points for her latest blooper:
At a debate on Sunday at Trinity United Church of Christ, Patricia Van Pelt-Watkins said Braun was returning to Chicago politics after having been “missing in action and lost somewhere” — and Braun responded by saying, “Patricia, the reason you didn’t know who I was for the last 20 years is because you were strung out on crack. I was not strung out on crack. I don’t have a record.”More comments from around the town on Mosely Braun and her big mouth:
Watkins, who has acknowledged using pot and coke as a teenager, says she’s been sober for 25 years and has demanded an apology.More comments from around the town on Braun's
“This says a lot about her character,” Watkins said.
Or lack thereof.
- Approximately 20 percent of Chicago voters say they’re planning to vote for Braun. She’s still a huge long shot to upset Rahm Emanuel, but the fact that one of five of my fellow voting citizens believe she’s the best person for the job is more daunting than the Storm of the Century looming over us.
- The question, you said Jan. 14, is one of temperament. Thanks for displaying yours now, when voters see it implode.
- [T]here was nothing to be gained for Braun by responding with an attack on Van Pelt-Watkins, a minor candidate in all the polling so far. Braun's dwindling hopes depend on softening up and prying away Van Pelt-Watkins supporters, and are further eroded by antagonizing them.
- Is it too late to coin the terms "crackusation?"
Update: Ms. Mosley Braun offers up an apology to everyone but the one person she owes it to."
I want to apologize to her, to the congregations and members of Trinity United Church and of New Pilgrim Missionary Baptist church and all of the families and friends of those who are or who have been caught up in the tragedy of drug use. I meant no disrespect of the sanctuaries in which campaign tensions spilled over.She gives the word "ungracious" a whole new face.
One hundred and eighty degrees in the opposite direction of black women in Illinois politics is Toni Preckwinkle, on whom I am developing a tremendous girl crush:
“The proposed budget represents the first step of a restructuring of county finances for a long-term plan that will address the structural deficit and lay the groundwork for the rollback of the sales-tax increase,” Preckwinkle said. “We must break the habits that got us here. We must build a new foundation to stabilize our finances.”You go, girl! (Can we clone her a couple of times and send one to Springfield and the other to the White House???)
While this news is not good, it does not in the least take away from the fact that a toddler would not be dead if his mother hadn't left him alone to play in the hallway of a hotel while she fooled around with her boyfriend:
A switch used by a 2-year-old boy to open an elevator door before he fell down the shaft last week should have been locked up, Joliet’s chief building inspector said Monday.This whole mess saddens and enrages me in equal parts.
David Mackley said the exposed switch in the Plaza Hotel elevator car was a code violation. He told a city council committee that the switch either should have been in a shielded case or the device should have required a key to operate.
Cool Quotes of the Day:
- Roethlisberger is to role model what Snooki Polizzi is to classy.
- Sheriff’s Police are ruling out a phone malfunction for the disconnection.
- They’ve even narrowed down names for their twins. “They won’t be crazy names like Carburetor or something,” he says. “But they’re definitely unique.”
- What the hell is Whoopi wearing? It looks like a Snuggie.
The last living WWI veteran, Frank Woodruff Buckles, turns 110 today. God bless him!
In the middle of the biggest recession in a long time, Caterpillar's workers take this brilliant step:
Union members at Caterpillar Inc. facilities in Illinois and three other states have authorized the United Auto Workers to strike if necessary.This is why it took my father-in-law 30 years to get fully vested in a 20 year pension/retirement benefit.
I'm heading home. Wish me luck.
Update: Strike that heading home thingie. I'm on the reception desk until 5:30 p.m. Yahoo.
Anyone who thinks having the Muslim Brotherhood in charge in Egypt seriously needs to rearrange their thinking:
A leading member of the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt told the Arabic-language Iranian news network Al-Alam on Monday that he would like to see the Egyptian people prepare for war against Israel, according to the Hebrew-language business newspaper Calcalist.There's your religion of peace for you.
And, by the way...