Leslie's Omnibus

Familiar Crossroad

Wow. My karma lately seems to have a lot to do with people from my past and unresolved relationships. The Swoon -- that one's tabled for the moment. The best buddy of my youth -- that one's rekindled. Buckroo Bonsai -- gonna have to kick some butt and close that door for good.

And now? The best buddy of my re-singlehood -- the one who showed me Chicago, dragged me out to singles dances and talked me into running a personal ad. The one I shared theater tickets with. The one whose weekend home I spent a lot of time in. The one who I haven't talked to in over ten years.

We had a falling out some time ago, probably linked to the fact that both of us were dealing with personal and family issues simultaneously, and neither one of us was able to prop the other up at the time, as had been our previous pattern.

Somehow over time I lost her address and phone number. In the last year or two, I've googled her, but couldn't find a listing for her anywhere.

Recently I saw an article in the local paper that mentioned a former mutual friend of ours, and it had an email address for him. I sent him a note and told him I'd like to contact our friend. I asked him to forward on my phone number and email address, rather than asking for hers.

It's been a week or so since that happend and I hadn't heard anything, so I figured that was a road I wouldn't be going down again. Sad? Sure... but the only person you can control is yourself.

And then the phone rang today. I heard my friend's voice. We may never be as close as we once were, but that door is still open.

Leslie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not just Karma! In the astrological view, it's mercury retrograde who controls communication. For me personally, it's having my computers and phones break and the like, maybe for you it's going threw this again with relationships past.

Good luck!
Barrie

The Whited Sepulchre said...

Leslie,
I've been reconnecting with LOTS of old friends, mostly via Facebook. It was cool to read your take on doing the same.
Hope to see you at the next Blownstar.
-Allen

Omnibabe said...

Barrie -- If you've been reading my weekly horror-scopes, you know my planets are SERIOUSLY out of whack these days.

Allen -- Thanks for the kind words. Can't wait to see you at the next Camp Blownstar. You'll have to haul me around so I can get my Resistol, right?