Leslie's Omnibus

Chartered Excursions -- Chicago

Thanks to a tip from the lovely LL, we've chosen the Wyndham Garden Hotel in Schaumburg, IL as the "official" Midwest Blogmeet hotel for the weekend of July 14, 15 and 16, 2006.
  • It's spitting distance from Woodfield Mall, Illinois' largest shopping mall;
  • It's a stone's throw from lots of great eateries and drinkeries;
  • It's easy access to the major arteries into Chicago and out to the hinterlands;
Because of the short notice, there are no rooms blocked, but there is a dandy web rate of $63/night (non-refundable). Folks, there's never going to be a better rate than this in the vicinity of Chicago, at least in a respectable venue.

Need more enticement to attend? Mullet Boy, that maven of all things blog-met, is blowing into town for the event!

For now the schedule appears to be:

Friday -- Check in and get settled in. Find somewhere in the hotel to share cocktails and conversation. (In fact, see the list of Saturday choices, if you're coming in early in the day.)

Saturday -- Many choices:
Saturday Evening -- Group dinner. Og's favorite German joint, we think. Later, back to Schaumburg for more cocktails and conversation.

Sunday -- Completely unscheduled. (Again, see Saturday choices if you're not checking out early.) Choose your own companions for breakfast/brunch. Many hugs good-bye, and promises to do it again soon. I guarantee!

If you're planning on attending some or all of the blogmeet, please drop a note in the comments.

Are you a lurker or commenter without a blog of your own, but frequent reader of bloggers who'll be attending? You're invited, as well. (Warning! We'll have you setting up your own blog so fast it'll make your head spin.) No, really. We're opinionated. We're loud. We're fun. What's not to love?

Sign up already, will you?
_____

*For those first-timer visitors without vertigo, there are also the observatories on top of the Sears Tower and the John Hancock buildings.
_____

P.S. -- Spread the word!
_____
Leslie

21 comments:

Unknown said...

Wishin' I had more airmiles...:)

Anonymous said...

I KNEW if'n I waited long enough I could foist this off onto someone more capable and responsible than I.

Maeve said...

Damn, looks like I'll be missing another good time.

Marathon Pundit said...

I just bought tickets to fly to Washington for that week. Sorry!

Mr. Right said...

Hi, Leslie!

Thanks for the invite!

I might actually be able to drop by for some of the festivities, though I doubt I'll be staying in the hotel or going on an all day trip downtown.

I will likely have to work that weekend, though I don't know my schedule, yet.

If you guys are going to have some planned itinerary at the hotel itself, please let me know so I can try and drop in on you.

Are you going to have a conference room booked or some sort of hospitality suite... you know, a central gathering place? Also, who's coming?

Here's hoping I can make it...

Windypundit said...

Sounds interesting. I'm always looking for an excuse to take a few pictures. Will there be amusing drunk people, do you think?

Like Mr. Right says, let us know as plans develop.

Anonymous said...

I'll try to check it out. I ain't sure Chicago's ready for 'Neck in the house, but if it ain't too long of a drive, I might be able to sneek in on Friday, and back out on Sunday.

One question... Are you people stoned? Chicago, in the summertime and no mention of a ball game, Cubs, or Sox?

'Neck

Tammi said...

I'm soooooo there. Oh yeah, hell - it's right on my way home from work!!

WooHoo!!!!

kimsch said...

Gonna be in California for my hubby's high school reunion that weekend... boo hoo.

Richmond said...

Sounds fabulous! I'll get on it right away.... :)

Nancy said...

Sounds like fun, wish I could be there.

:0)

Nancy

Anonymous said...

I think I'm open that weekend. I'll check my schedule. Sounds interesting.

Anonymous said...

I keep coming in at $99 a night but maybe you're factoring in a AAA discount or something. In any event, it's fine and I'm booking now!

Publius said...

How do we "sign up"?

I live only minutes from this hotel, so I don't NEED a room. But I want to come!

Where do we "sign up?"

Anonymous said...

I can be there.

Bill Baar said...

about time!

I'll be there.

The Wizard said...

My-my....My Dear Leslie....You know Chicago is just a hop, skip and a jump (2.5 to 3 hours) from my home here on the West coast of the Midwest, Zeeland, Michigan...I shall have to see if I can make the trip down for a day and at the very least say "HI" to ya-all...that would really be a treat!

Anonymous said...

Flight? Booked. Hotel? Booked. Spare liver? Packed.

I'm psyched!

LL said...

I still have to find out if the Ex is gonna have to work or not and whether I'm gonna have to watch the kids or not, but I'm hoping to get down there Friday night for a few drinks. My mom comes on Saturday, so I may need the liquid courage to get me through the weekend anyway. Ha!

LL said...

I just checked and it looks like the Wyndham is full. There is a Courtyard near there and a La Quinta right down the street and next to Denny's. If any of ya'll need the info, let me know. It looks like the rates are $109/night at those two hotels. I looked around for something less, but no dibs.

The Conservative UAW Guy said...

I'm there.
Just confirmed my reservation a few minutes ago!

Let the blasting begin...