Leslie's Omnibus

Drive-Bys

I got an email with a subject line of Applebee's - enjoy! ($50.00!!):

Have a great lunch!

Hope you enjoy your lunch on Applebee's!

My name is Bill Palmer, founder of Applebee's. In an attempt to get our name out to more people in the rural communities where we are not currently located, we are offering a! $50 gift certificate to anyone who forwards this email to 9 of their friends. Just send this email to them and you will receive an email back with a confirmation number to claim your gift certificate.

Sincerely

Bill Palmer

Founder of Applebee's Visit us at: www.applebees.com
Followed by:
Hey guys,

It really works, I tried it and got my Gift certificate confirmation number in 3 minutes.
Remember -- you never get something for nothing.

Update: If you found your way here from Google, please stick around and read a little bit more. Start here. You're always welcome!
_____

It seems Jay and I have managed to piss off a Chicago late night talk radio host.

I listen to Nick Digilio on the radio on Sunday nights as I'm headed off to sleep -- mostly because I have a sleep button on the radio that turns itself off after an hour, and I'm usually awake enough to catch the beginning of Brian Noonan's gig, which I enjoy. Plus, when I hit the sleep button in the morning, I wake up to Spike O'Dell, who I really enjoy.

See? He just happens to pop up on the radio station I listen to the most, and is on at a time when I'm usually drifting off to sleep. In my opinion, he's a pushy, opinionated, pig-headed, overgrown adolescent who, I'm sure, gets paid a good buck by WGN to be just that. If you met him out and about in Andersonville, my guess is he'd be the know-it-all at the bar with an opinion on everything and perfectly willing to make sure everyone on this place knows what it is. He's the kind of guy most people either love or hate, and I just usually tune out. I'm sure he's a laugh riot to drink with. Or see a horror movie with. That doesn't make him a bad guy -- it just makes him the kind of guy I generally try to avoid, okay?

But, as his billing notes:
Now he hosts his own show on Friday, Saturday and Sunday Nights where he talks about pop culture, current events, hot topics...and of course, reviews the new films.
If you're going to style yourself knowledgeable on pop culture, wouldn't you think you'd want to sound knowledgeable?

Yes, my initial reaction (I emailed him the link the day I posted it, BTW; he never bothered to respond at the time) to his was probably a little over-the-top. But his response is just mocking and ridicule and only further exposes the "who cares" attitude that is why I don't consider him particularly professional. And just what I'd expect out of him. That's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it.

P.S. -- Thanks, Anonymous for letting me know about his little rant. I'm guessing you tipped him in the first place! If so, I'm alway grateful for new readers.

P.P.S. -- Nick, if you see this, there's actually one thing we do agree on. Bacon is one of nature's perfect foods. Just to show there's no hard feelings, here's a blog devoted entirely to bacon. Enjoy.
_____

Stunt breasts?
_____
Leslie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny!

He's also confused because the issue isn't with saying "I blog" or "I blogged," just with calling a post a blog. Half the times when he says he'll say X if he wants to, he's actually using it right in the rant.

A bit presumptuous about who we are, too. However, it IS a bit nitpicky, and a swim against the tide. OTOH if you're a public figure...

Anonymous said...

I received an email that said I should forward the message to receive free Applebee's® gift certificates. Is this for real?
No. A fraudulent email chain message promising Applebee's® gift certificates for forwarding the message is currently making its way around the Internet. The message promises a gift certificate and a confirmation number after forwarding the message to a specific number of email addresses. Applebee's® International, Inc. does not sponsor or endorse this activity and is unable to fulfill these requests.