Leslie's Omnibus

Book Your Ticket

It was a busy reading weekend (during commercials and in between Olympic sporting events):

Finished "Beach Girls" on the train back from Ravinia Friday night. As always, I just wanted to feel sand and surf between my toes and go hug a friend after reading her stuff. These books are as comfy as an old scruffy sweatshirt and a pair of beat-up jeans.
_____

Nicholas Sparks is another author who, even though you just know he's going to make you cry at least once, always serves up a good story. "Nights in Rodanthe" is a quick and satisfying read.
_____

Golf has always placed high on the sports events watched in my family. My all-time favorite player is Payne Stewart. I always loved his passion for golf, his devil-may-care attitude when speaking with the press, and his sartorial fashion sense. I distinctly remember the day his plane went AWOL -- I listened to the description on the radio in the car on the way to work, and followed on Drudge all day with my heart in my throat. Anyway, I knew that I'd be blubbering all the way through the end of this book (and I did), but I really enjoyed his authorized biography. I already admired the man. Now I hold him in the highest of esteem.
_____

A couple of bodice-rippers I refuse to name. (Hey! I needed a little fluff after reading about Payne Stewart and reading Nicholas Sparks.)
_____

Got about two-thirds of the way through "The Roadshow: Spangle #1" by Gary Jennings. Set right after the end of the Civil War, it's about a struggling traveling circus and all the misfits it absorbs along the way. I'm enjoying it tremendously, so far, as it's laugh out loud funny. So funny, in fact, that I bopped over to Amazon.com and ordered books #2 and #3. [Note to Mom: You're not getting this one back. It goes on the "keep" shelf.]
_____

See? I told you it was a busy reading weekend!
_____
Leslie

No comments: